BBB of WESTERN MICHIGAN, INC
Contact: Ken Vander Meeden
616-774-8236 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
July 2010 Business Article
BBB Small Business Advice:
• What information do you collect? – Outline the types of personal information that you collect from customers. This includes home address, email, phone numbers and credit card numbers.
• How do you collect the information? – Websites collect information from customers in many different ways. Even if you don’t actually sell goods through your site you might have an email sign-up for a newsletter, an application for credit or install cookies on the visitor’s computer to track their activities. Disclose how data is being collected to show you have nothing to hide.
• How do you use the information? – Include background on how you share customer information with third parties such as to process orders. If you sell customer information to marketers, explain what information is sold and how it could be used.
• What control does the customer have over their personal information? – Customers need a way to contact your business and control their personal data, whether it’s changing a password on their account or taking their name off of a mailing list. Plan to include a direct phone number or email address that customers can use to manage their information.
• How do you protect the information? - Explain how you protect customer data including, but not limited to, website encryption, limiting employee access to sensitive customer data, and server security.
For additional free advice on keeping customer data safe visit the BBB’s Data Security -- Made Simpler website information at www.bbb.org/data-security/ .